nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 22:34:42 IST 2008

<y> [j] is sometime lost initially in Yedhow (ezow in MC), yehes
(ehes, ehaz) and yeth (eyth).
It is also lost in Yust < Latin Justus; cf. Por' Ust < Porth Yust.
It is also lost in Yowan > Goluan 'Midsummer'. Jowan is a different
form borrowed from French/Breton.

It is very unlikely that [j] > [dZ]. It is more likely that we are
dealing here with sound substitution.
They didn't understand yet so they made it jet. Cf. Marhas Yow >
Market Jew.

Nicholas