Tom Trethewey tom.trethewey at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 10:37:59 IST 2008

Michael Everson wrote:

><res> necessary is never *<rys>.

So far as the texts are concerned, this is manifestly untrue, as Nicholas pointed out.
That is why I advised you to look at your data-base of textual spellings.

>In Revived Cornish, all speakers pronounce <res> 'necessary' as [re:z].

"All speakers" follow the dictionaries in this matter.  In view of the fact that the distribution of textual spellings of this word is similar to that of words which you want to spell with both <ÿ> and <ë>, then I suggest that all the compilers of the various dictionaries may have got this word wrong.

>It does not have an alternate pronunciation [ri:z].
 Indeed. Such a pronunciation would be wrong.