Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Fri Jul 11 14:30:20 IST 2008

Tom, I suggested a hypothetical phoneme /I_o/ with allophones [I] and
[e]. As you suggest, it might be more conveniently labelled /I/. However
before /I/ can be adopted, it is necessary to determine that there is not
some other phoneme /I/. That requires a minimal contrast set of all the
vowels. That is why I used /I_o/.
Jon