Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jul 11 22:22:45 IST 2008

At 09:34 +0000 2008-07-11, Tom Trethewey wrote:

>I agree that there are three "classes of words"
>here.  I do not agree with the suggested
>pronunciations.

Evidently not.

>It would be much simpler to write the third class with <y>.

People who say [e:] do not believe that <y> is an
acceptable graph for this. We proposed <ei> as an
acceptable graph to us. That wasn't acceptable to
the KK representatives. We have ended up with
some words in <e>, some words in <y>, and a class
of words in <e>~<y>, and KS will mark this last
class as <ë>~<ÿ> because the ambiguity is
intolerable.