[Spellyans] Introducing Penny Squire

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 08:46:07 IST 2008

On 11 Jul 2008, at 23:47, Mary Williams wrote:
> The UCR Bible and Dr. Williams' Bywnans Ke seem both to have been
> designed (and priced) for the collectors market.

There is, of course, no 'UCR Bible'. Nicholas's 'Testament Noweth' is
available from Spyrys a Gernow at £15.95 (with a discount to Agan
Tavas members, I believe). By contrast,  the Everyman NT has a cover
price of £9.99 (also available discounted). This £6 difference in
cost hardly prices the UCR NT 'for the collector's market'; after
all, that's only the price of a half-way decent bottle of wine!

As a semi-pro writer, typographer and designer,  to my eyes
Nicholas's edition looks just like a good quality NT should look, in
all aspects of its design and manufacture. The quality of Cornish
inside is outstanding, yet is quite easy to read, even for less
fluent (non-Christian) learners like me. In no way is it "designed
for the collector's market", as you allege.

The Thomas & Williams edition of 'Bewnans Ke' [sic] is priced at
about £60, but was available with a generous 1/3 discount at £40 for
quite a while after its launch. Published under the auspices of
Exeter University, I believe this edition is aimed primarily at the
academic market, and is priced accordingly. Moreover, the book is
designed with full academic apparatus scholasticum, which is another
feature aimed specifically at the academic market, rather that that
of collectors.

  Certainly it's going to be too expensive for many ordinary users of
Cornish; indeed, the price was too high for my wallet, alas!, even
with the discount. I would urge the editors to produce a cheaper,
possibly abridged, edition for the wider market, and it they did so,
I'd be at the front of the queue for a copy!

> The Kesva prefer to publish books that Cornish people can afford to
> buy and read.

The Kesva's editions of the New Testament and the Life of Ke are not
good, in terms of neither their scholarship nor their design. Sure,
they're less expensive than the ones you decry, but you're not
getting products of comparable quality.

> I really do detect a whiff of smugness here.
> . . .
> If you have the good of the language at heart . . .

This treads very close to personal insult, Mary, which is not
acceptable on this list.

> . . . why don't you both make your excellent talents available to
> all sides, rather than supporting a minority faction?

'Talents available to all sides'? 'Minority faction'?

What on earth can you mean?

And what does *any* of this have to do with the purpose of this
discussion list?

Please stay on topic, Mary.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem