[Spellyans] Introducing Penny Squire

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 09:32:35 IST 2008

The term "minority faction" is in the eye of the beholder.  It isn't
numbers that matter, but what each actually does and the influence that
has on people's perceptions.

As a minority of one, I did write what I believe to be the widest
selling book on the Cornish language ever written ("Cornish Place-Names
and Language", Sigma Press 1995 and reprinted three times; now
republished in a completely revised form (2007).  Between 15,000 and
20,000 sold).  That book was, and is, distributed throughout the UK,
rather than the parochial circulation most books on the language are
confined to.  My aim was to make as many people as possible, however far
away, aware that there is a Cornish language and that it has a firm,
rightful and long-standing place in British culture.  For the very first
time, a whole lot of people realised that the distinct language and
culture of Cornwall actually existed and I'm sure it contributed to the
official recognition of the language in 2002.  If it did, then I'm
pleased that I did some good (strange how it was after the publication
of the 1995 edition that "English" Heritage really started going for my
throat, finally destroying my career in 1998).

It might sound "smug" (it isn't meant to be, because it is what I set
out to achieve), that book and its one minority writer, achieved more in
that respect than the entire Kesva, with its parochial attitude, has
achieved since its inception in 1967.

Craig