[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Ken MacKinnon kenmackinnon at enterprise.net
Sat Jul 12 11:20:24 IST 2008

Well I am a Virgo - and that means I do not believe in any of that zodiacal
stuff.

However, you may recall that sometime ago I contributed a list of West
Cornwall placenames spelled with circumflexes on current OS maps.  Since
then diligent perusal of larger scale maps has resulted in further examples.

I would repeat that the use of the circumflex on Cornish names in current
use has long been well accepted by the map-reading and general Cornish
public and the use  of the circumflex as an accepatable Cornish diacritic
should cause no reasonable problems.

I look forward to your forthcoming book, Craig - and hope to secure an early
copy.  With the placename Lowarth an Dyjy - is the Dygy the same as the St
Ives streetname The Digey?  If so whatever is such a name doing in the
middle of a town?

There used to be a local simile in common use 'as straight as the Digey'.  I
never really understood this as The Digey never appeared particularly
straight to me.  But then on the other hand it was probably a lot straighter
than many of the neighbouring thoroughfares.

Apologies for wandering off topic - but spelling of Cornish antiquities and
street names might very properly feature on future agendas.

- an Ken ken

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon,
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,