[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Sat Jul 12 12:43:14 IST 2008

Just a quick technical note to those completely adverse to diacritics. All you have to do is change your keyboard setting from EN (English) to ES (Spanish). Spanish has the same Qwerty layout as English; to the right of m is ñ, several of the punctuation marks are slightly different; but above all, to the right of ñ is a "dead key" for ´ and (shift) ¨, and immediately above that, to the right of p, is another dead key for ` and (shift) ^, by typing those before the vowel in question you get those four accents without any difficulty at all with practically the same keyboard as English. That is why all United Nations organizations use the Spanish keyboard in their English pools. As Michael says, the arguments against diacritics are more imagined than real.

Steve Hewitt