[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 14:10:18 IST 2008

I suspect we might be straying a little off topic again, but it's a
slow Saturday afternoon, so what the heck!

I note that Nance in his Guide to Cornish Place-Names gives the
following:
> bos (bod, bo) pl. bossow. dwelling
> bos, pl.  bosow. bush. bojek. bush-grown place

.. . . while in his 1938 Gerlyver Noweth, he adds:
> bos, pl. -ssow. dwelling-place : used in place-names, often keeps
> its old form bod : may be boj before vowels, and because of its
> final s, may be bos4, bo4 before mutable consonants.

There's no suggestion in either of these books that this element
generally takes the 2nd bos=bush meaning in Cornish, such as you
describe in Breton.

Moreover, I'd have thought that a name meaning 'a group of elder
trees' would be more suitable for . . . well, a group of elder trees,
rather than for a dwelling situated in their midst (much as in
English, where one might find a house named 'Elder Cottage'). 'The
Elder Grove' sounds more like a pub name (or an Irish jig!) if anything.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem