Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:40:49 IST 2008

I fail to see your problem here Mary. Other than your obvious trouble
with using diacritical marks. A problem for users of English language
who have no idea of how to set their comuters up to use these. I
suppose some instructions on doing this would be a good thing to have
displayed somewhere?

It is clear these words need highlighting, because they have both an
optional spelling and an optional pronunciation.
As we are attempting to make good the errors in the SWF we have to
take into account the SWF as it currently exists.

I was not a fan of the diaresis, but I was not overly happy with the
aesthetics of the <ei> solution that the KK faction threw out anyway.
However that put me in a difficult position regarding this group of
words. I think, after a little reflection, that as <ei> is ruled out,
the diaresis is quite an elegant solution to the problem.

I can also see it being regularly dropped from normal usage by more
competent learners and fluent speakers in everyday communications, but
for learners this is a really useful tool to aid their learning.

It does nothing to the sounds of the words, merely shows where there
is a choice of spelling and pronunciation. I support this.

Christian