Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 17:06:16 IST 2008

On 12 Jul 2008, at 16:51, A. J. Trim wrote:

> Thanks, Christian.
>
> I think that, finally, you have convinced me that <ÿ> and <ë> are
> the way to
> go.
> It does appear to be the best solution under the circumstances.
>
> We must ensure that people know how to type them though, as clearly
> that
> cannot be assumed.

Your final point is very cogent, and the instructions for typing
these letter-diacritic combinations would need to cover:
-- several versions of Windows,
-- several versions of MacOS, both v.X and earlier,
-- ditto Linux,
-- mobile devices, perhaps,
-- both older (ASCII) and newer (Unicode) fonts

As an informal ad-hockery for the diaresis, might we recommend <vowel
+ colon>, or could that be confused with the IP notation for a long
vowel? If that combo isn't acceptable, we should recommend something
else, I believe, rather than leave it for users to improvise.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem