[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 17:35:05 IST 2008

Yes, it is the same word, Ken.  Dyjy translates as cottage or hovel, so
Lowarth an Dyjy is "the cottage garden".  At St Ives, the original was
probably a cottage/hovel on its own, well away from other buildings,
before the town developed around it.  In the same way, Jennings Street
in Penzance, whch leads from Market Jew Street down to the harbour was
"Street an Todden", so what has been a built-up part of Penzance must,
at one time, have been a pasture field.  I love ths about place-names -
how they can give you glimpses of the past.  We have so many names with
various words for deer, but you won't see a wild deer anywhere in
Cornwall now.  Then there are places like Nansladron, "thieves' valley",
just SW of St Austell.  Rumour has it that the management staff of HM
Inspector of Taxes, St Austell, now live there!!!!!

An interesting point is the personal name Sylvester (Latin origin,
presumably "woodsman" or similar). Three place-names have this element
(Chysauster, Nansalsa and I can't think of the third one at present)
and, in each case, the Cornish form of Sylvester is so consistently
shown as Salvester that the A vowel survives even into the present form
of each name.

Craig