[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 17:44:26 IST 2008

In Cornish place-names, bod/bos translates as "dwelling, home", so that
Botallack is the "home of a man called Talek".  The personal name,
"heavy-browed" still survives as a Cornish surname Tallack (Tallack's
Windscreens, Penryn , for example).  There is a similar word, bos,
meaning "bush" but this does not seem to occur in Cornish toponyms.
Helyk is "willow-tree", the short e vowel being consistent, even in
variants of the word.

Bod/bos names, along with those beginning with Tre- and Car- are
believed to be the very earliest place-names in Cornwall.

Craig