Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jul 13 13:26:21 IST 2008

At 12:30 +0000 2008-07-10, Tom Trethewey wrote:
>there are two explanations.  The one favoured hitherto on this forum
>has been that there were two different pronunciations, [i:] and [E:]
>for the words with long vowels.

This is not correct. The distinction we make is [i:] and [e:], not
[E:]. The overwhelming majority of speakers of every variety of
Revived Cornish have two phonemes: /i/ [i:]~[I] and /e/ [e:]~[E].

>I find this explanation naive compared with its alternative, that
>the mixture of <i~y> and <e> (and indeed <ey>) represents a sound
>intermediate between [i] and [E], say [I].

Ken George is the only researcher who tried to impose a three-way
phonemic distinction onto Revived Cornish. One of the reasons he did
appears to me that since he rejected dialect differences a priori he
was therefore obliged to end up with a three-way phonemic distinction
in his "reconstruction" of Middle Cornish. Revived Cornish has /e/
and /i/ however, even despite two decades of attempts to get KK users
to have three phonemes.

Evidently George felt the same discomfort about dialect variation
with regard to <s>~<j> alternations, which led him to posit the
phonemes /dj/ and /tj/. This was disproved, but George has not put
his discomfort aside and now tries to change Revived Cornish by
suggesting that the phoneme was /Z/. I don't believe that any of the
textual evidence we have supports this view.

What this means to me is that traditional Cornish, like Revived
Cornish, had dialect differences with regard to these phonemes. KS
supports this analysis, which is also supportive of current practice
amongst Revivalists.