[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Ken MacKinnon kenmackinnon at enterprise.net
Mon Jul 14 09:19:15 IST 2008

Sin agad e , Eadaidh !

- an Coinneach eile

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon,
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,
Ross-shire  IV7 8HX
Tel: 01349 - 863460
E-mail: kenmackinnon at enterprise.net

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eddie Climo
  To: Standard Cornish discussion list
  Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Spellyans] Diacritics?

  I suspect we might be straying a little off topic again, but it's a slow Saturday afternoon, so what the heck!

  I note that Nance in his Guide to Cornish Place-Names gives the following:
    bos (bod, bo) pl. bossow. dwelling
    bos, pl.  bosow. bush. bojek. bush-grown place

  . . . while in his 1938 Gerlyver Noweth, he adds:
    bos, pl. -ssow. dwelling-place : used in place-names, often keeps its old form bod : may be boj before vowels, and because of its final s, may be bos4, bo4 before mutable consonants.

  There's no suggestion in either of these books that this element generally takes the 2nd bos=bush meaning in Cornish, such as you describe in Breton.

  Moreover, I'd have thought that a name meaning 'a group of elder trees' would be more suitable for . . . well, a group of elder trees, rather than for a dwelling situated in their midst (much as in English, where one might find a house named 'Elder Cottage'). 'The Elder Grove' sounds more like a pub name (or an Irish jig!) if anything.

  Eddie Foirbeis Climo
  Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
  Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem