Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Mon Jul 14 10:04:52 IST 2008

Learners acquire the phonology of a language by first hearing it spoken
and then moving on to speaking. Listen and repeat drills can be useful.
The phonology of a language is not easily acquired by first learning how
a language is written and then extrapolating the pronunciation of
individual words from their written form. One also needs to take into
account learners' needs when teaching the phonology of any given
language. A learner of Cornish today will encounter a good deal of
variability in the Cornish that s/he hears among the Cornish speaking
community. So it is a good idea to introduce this variability into the
classroom; audio recordings are very useful for this purpose.Jon