[Spellyans] Diacritics?

Ken MacKinnon kenmackinnon at enterprise.net
Mon Jul 14 11:30:16 IST 2008

Craig,

Would the placename Bussow ( just outside St Ives) mean bushes or
dwellings - any way of telling from earlier forms?

I very much commend your intention of working on orginal Cornish forms of
personal names.   Gaelic speakers very frequently use the Gaelic forms of
their names in appropriate contexts - and even sometimes in official
contexts too.  Probably as an 'in your face' assertion of identity.  For
example, I use my Gaelic name on passport , credit cards, cheques, and bank
account.

- an Ken ken

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon,
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,