Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Jul 14 14:16:18 IST 2008

At 12:16 +0000 2008-07-14, Jon Mills wrote:
>Do you advocate, then, a form of Cornish that is
>at odds with traditional Cornish, since you
>imply that traditional Cornish is of no
>consequence?

I advocate practicality.

I really don't believe that [e:] and [i:] were
genuinely allphonic variants *across the board*.
We would see a *lot* more chaos than we do if
that were really the case. Lhuyd is able to
distinguish the sounds easily. And in Revived
Cornish the RMC schools have tended to favour and
teach [i:] for the bÿs/bës class, and the RLC
school has favoured and taught [e:].

I don't think there's any undoing this. This
isn't 1904. It's 2008. Whether these might have
been allophonic in Traditional Cornish or not
(and that's a big "whether") they're dialectal
now. The SWF and KS both accept the dialectal
variation in Revived Cornish, though the SWF
doesn't use the word "dialect". For isntance Ray
Chubb says [mi:z re:z di:d] and Neil Kennedy says
[mi:z re:z de:d]. And even Kebmyn theory
distinguishes [mi:z re:z dI:d], though in
practice this results in [mi:z re:z dId] except
for Kebmyn advocates like Ken George himself who
has UC [mi:z re:z di:d].

No dialect of Revived Cornish has [mi:z ri:z
di:d] or [me:z re:z de:d]. No free variation is
in current use. And I don't believe that
Traditional Cornish did either. (Burden of proof
is on you.)

Now in 2008 we have a SWF that can't distinguish
<bys> [bIz] from <bÿs> [bi:z]~[be:z]. That's a
fault of the SWF. KS has now got a solution to
that fault.

You've asked a theoretical question: Revived
Cornish in the matter of <bÿs>~<bës> treats them
as a dialectal alternation; would it disturb me
if it were "proved" that in Traditional Cornish
they were in free variation? The answer is no,
not all that very much. Because we would be back
where we are now: How would you then spell
'month' and 'necessary' and 'finger' and 'but'?

KS is descriptive of Revived Cornish, respectful
of Cornish linguistics in trying to get it right,
and will offer a recommended pronunciation which,
I believe, will be both theoretically sound and
realistically practical.