[Spellyans] jangye-ryn

Penny Squire pennysquire at ymail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:53:24 IST 2008

Craig,

Jangye-ryn cannot  be 'ice-house'!

What
would an ice-house be doing near Winnianton, a modest farm on the
cliffs north of Mullion? As far as I know, only manor houses and such
could afford to have ice-houses built, plus all the time, trouble and
expense of hauling ice in winter, mixing with salt, etc.  Pencarrow had
one, built in the early 1800s, I don't know of any other in Cornwall,
but there may have been some.  I doubt if ice houses were known in
Cornwall much before then, and this place name is surely older.

Jangye-ryn almost certainly is jynnji-rynn or
jynnji-run (engine house [on a] promontory, or engine house [on a]
slope) - with both the 'j' and the 'g' of 'jangye' pronounced as in
'jail'. It has an 'a' where one would expect a 'y' or an 'i'
admittedly, but that's Cornish place names for you!

And, of course, the word order is Cornish.

do hope that this example of historical sloppy spelling by some unknown
scribe does not encourage any more theories about vocalic alternation
or dialects.

Penny