[Spellyans] diacritics: what should KS recomment?

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Tue Jul 15 21:02:04 IST 2008

Given the three categories, as defined by Eddie, context number (3) is easy.
All diacritical marks must be optional for context (3) as, by Eddie's definition, some won't be written.

Context (1) seems to be easy too.
Learners, and all people looking at words in dictionaries etc, need all the help that they can get so all the current KS diacritical marks should be compulsory in didactic material. After all, we have seen (during copious discussion over the last year, at least) that the marks are all there for good reasons.
Unusual stress, vowel length and alternative forms (e.g. <ÿ>/<ë>), pre-occlusion, gender, plurals, verb parts, and mutations all need to be marked or included in dictionaries and grammars.
For fresh learners, mutated initial consonants could be italic, and they would probably benefit from parallel English translation and grammar notes -- and, where possible, the recommended sounds. Here computerised material has more scope than paper forms.

The problem context is (2). I don't think that many people will find diacritical marks a problem in reading. They can only help. The difficulty is in writing them.
Whatever we want people to do, we must make sure that they know how to type them. This may minimise the opposition.
My feeling is that if you can get people to write diacritical marks to show unusual vowel length and to show the broad sounds of <u> that would be a victory...so, aiming for victory, let's make those compulsory. If it's not done right or if it is not done at all we should regard that as an error.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim