nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:50:31 IST 2008

A very large number of words (months, days of the week, kitchen
utensils, farming implements, items of clothing, plants, birds, etc.)
are known only from Lhuyd's vocabulary; others come from Pryce and
Borlase. Without our remains of Late Cornish any form of revived
Cornish would be impossible.

Look at the following items that start with g:

gargam 'bandy-legged' < Lhuyd
garget 'garter' Lhuyd, Borlase
gast 'bitch' Lhuyd
gen 'chin' Lhuyd
glaneth 'clean, tidy' Lhuyd, John Boson
glanythter 'tidiness' Lhuyd
gledh 'chickweed' Lhuyd
gluth 'dew' Lhuyd
glyttra 'glitter' Borlase
godra 'to milk' Lhuyd
godreva 'three days hence' Lhuyd
godrak 'colostrum, first milk' Lhuyd
godram 'cramp'  Lhuyd
goles 'bottom' Lhuyd (also PNN)
golovas 'childbirth, labour' Lhuyd
Golowan 'midsummer' Ustick, Pryce
gonador 'sower' Lhuyd
goruhel 'sublime' Lhuyd
gosogen 'black pudding' Lhuyd.

etc., etc.

Revivalists should be wary of disparaging Late Cornish.

Nicholas