[Spellyans] Three schwas

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jul 18 22:34:05 IST 2008

In our analysis of unstressed vowels, we have not
taken something acoustic into account. I don't
know whether Jon will like this or not, but it is
certainly something easily observed in Revived
Cornish.

There are three schwas. Standard schwa [@] (the
turned e, U+0259), i-coloured schwa [1] (the
barred i (with dot), U+0268), and u-coloured
schwa [}] (the barred u, U+0289).

Examples:

tavas /'tav at z/
gwelys /'gwEl1s/ 'seen'; cf. gwelas /'gwEl at s/ 'saw'
arlùth /'arl}T/

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_central_vowel
where in the centre of the chart you find the
standard schwa and the barred-i
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_central_unrounded_vowel
and the barred-u
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_central_rounded_vowel

Note that in English the same distinction
applies: "Rosa's" is /'roUz at z/, "roses" is
/'roUz1z/.

Actually I think the correct symbol for the
u-coloured schwa is an unofficial IPA symbol used
by the OED, barred-upsilon. Hm. I may have to
encode that.