Mary Williams marywilliams230 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 00:15:43 IST 2008

--- On Fri, 18/7/08, Harry Fraiser <harryfraiser at googlemail.com> wrote:
From: Harry Fraiser <harryfraiser at googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] More on bys/bes words and diacritical marks
To: "Standard Cornish discussion list" <spellyans at kernowek.net>
Date: Friday, 18 July, 2008, 7:05 PM

I'm very glad to here it. How many of them are there, and where should
one go to hear them?

Harry
Good
question. They must be a secret society. Or just maybe someone's been
pulling Michael's leg. But my point was really if they don't turn up
for anything, don't involve themselves with promoting the language, and
especially don't seem to write anything, why does the 'official'
spelling matter to them? If all they do is in Cornish is shoo out the
cat?

I've got the book on the Boson's late cornish, by Oliver Padel. It's
60pp and includes oodles of notes etc. I've just counted the pages of
actual Late Cornish and it comes to around 16. I asked someone who
should know what else there was and apparently there's perhaps nearly
as much again, bits of scripture (on the Bible Translation web site, I
think) and some poems and letters and things. Jon Mills is supposed to
have listed it all somewhere or other. There don't seem to be any more
stories like JCH though, that's a great pity, so much must have been
lost when the language went. So it wouldn't really be a very massive
book would it? If there's really a lot of interest in Late, why hasn't
anyone gathered all of this together, they've had years and years to do
it?

Mary