nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 10:01:20 IST 2008

The language of Gorseth Kernow is Unified Cornish — though it is not
always very good Cornish.

The title of one of the lists is as follows:
Hynwyn Tylu pup Barth oll yn aray abecedary

Since each bard has one surname it would have been better to write
Hanow Tylu pup Barth…
Moreover the word aray means 'appearance, display' in traditional
Cornish. 'Order' in
is ordyr, order.

Abecedary is not attested, having been borrowed from Middle English.
The Weslh word is egwyddor < Latin abecedarium. I don't understand why
Nance didn't Cornicise that as *egwedher or similar, or just borrow
the English
word as *alfabet. I suppose he just wanted to be quaint, as so often.
Apart from Lhuyd the only reference to letters of the alphabet in the
texts
is:
Du gveras a b c
an pen can henna yv d BM 99-100.

Had I been asked to translate 'The surname of each bard in
alphabetical order' I should have written:

Hanow teylu pub bardh in ordyr an ABC (KS)
Hanow tylu pup barth yn ordyr an ABC (UC).

Nicholas