Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 21:37:18 IST 2008

I can only really answer that in my own case. Michael.  KK bards
publicly abused other bards.  They also interfered and sabotaged a
Cornish language project (bilingual road signs) in which 4 bards
collaborated (these were: Richard Jenkin, Richard Gendall, Ray Chubb and
myself).  The project had been intiated by me and it was my report that
persuaded Penwith District Council to approve the scheme.  The then
Clerk of the Council, Des Hosken, was aware of the orthographic
arguments and agreed that, if two of the three factions could agree on
the recommended forms of place-names to appear on the roadsigns, then
the Council would support it.  At that time, none of the KK faction
would even talk to me so trying to get their agreement was a
non-starter.  So, I asked the Unified and Late Cornish people named above.

The project, aiming at the Celtic Film Festival that was held in St Ives
in that particular year, went ahead, with bilingual signs appearing for
St Ives, Carbis Bay and Hayle.

Then came the KK interference, backed by the Gorsedd.  Dear "Wella"
Brown wrote in complaint to Penwith Council, backed up by the then
Gorsedd secretary.  The Lelant sign was altered from "Ewny Lananta" to
"Lannanta", and, after that, the project died.  Hosken broke his promise
to me (but, then, he was up for bardship that very same year) and the
whole thing foundered.

I complained to the Gorsedd Council that bards had deliberatelu
undermined the work of other bards, just as a year or so previously, I
had complained to them about bards Dunbar and Miller publicly
denigrating other bards such as Peter Pool and Dick Gendall.  On boith
occasions, the Gorsedd under, first Chesterfield, then Ann Jenkin, chose
to attack me instead.  On this econd occasion, I resogned my Bardship.
All that Ann Jenkin could say to the Press was: "Oh, he's threatened to
resign several times" (I had done so only the once, to Chesterfield).

Of course, there have been several other incidents since then - when
Dunbar repreatedly phoned Hayle School to tell them that I was teaching
the kids the "wrong kind of Cornish"; then when my entry to the Holyer
an Gof award (my place-names book) was thrown straight into the bin, and
there have been other incidents as well.

It doesn't do a lot for the morale, nor does it motivate further efforts
in Cornish studies.  Sometimes, it sends you into the depths of despair
but, in the end, I refuse to be beaten by people like these.

Kebmer wyth,
Craig