[Spellyans] " 'Breakthrough' rung"

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:59:39 IST 2008

There is an irony here. I have been described as the leading scholar
of Cornish alive today.
I am not making this claim. I merely repeat what others have said.
Michael Everson is certainly one of the leading experts on writing
systems in the world.
So when devising a common orthography, the revival had at its disposal
a someone considered the leading expert on Cornish and the leading
expert on writing systems.
For personal reasons (spite) these two experts were kept out of the
process and their
opinions ignored.
Does anybody seriously believe that the resulting spelling made without
consulting Michael or me is the best possible for Cornish?
Does anybody believe that it will last in a way that neither UC nor KK
did?

Until the best scholars are given the job of extracting a spelling
from the texts,
Cornish will have a second-rate orthography.
As it is the SWF is neither 1. traditional 2. accurate 3. coherent  4.
easy to learn.

But there can be no going back to KK since 1. it had been under
academic attack
since it was first published. 2. a large number of revivalists never
accepted it and will not
accept it now.

The struggle continues.

Nicholas