[Spellyans] " 'Breakthrough' rung"

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 14:03:44 IST 2008

The same has been said of me as regards place-name research and of the
archaeology of West Cornwall (not that I have ever made any such claim
myself).  Because of that perceived view of me, I have received
derision, brickbats, outright nastiness and even the loss of a career
and a goodly proportion of my pension rights.  The effect of it all has
led to a life in which I have been forced to scratch for money and
cannot contemplate, let alone sustain, any relationship (and, to be
truthful, there is someone I would dearly love to approach in that
regard, except that she is a great deal younger than me).  So, these
people have left me staring at these four walls, hpoing that I can pay
next month's bills and reducing my entire life to just me and the horses.

You, Nicholas, are despised by these people because you are, in truth, a
linguistic expert, and they are not (although certain of them claim to
be).  You speak in learned terms that they cannot understand (because
they haven't the ability)  In terms of their own egos, and
self-importance, you are seen as a threat and someone to be feared.  To
paraphrase the old saying (which just happens to be very true) -
what/who cannot be understood/equalled is to be feared, and what is to
feared is to be destroyed (i.e. denigrated and despised with very real
attempts to destroy their reputations).

It does make one wonder why we continue to do what we do.

Craig