[Spellyans] " 'Breakthrough' rung"

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 19:47:31 IST 2008

Oh, don't worry, Eddie - I haven't plummetted into the depths of despair
quite yet.  I was just wondering why people like Nicholas and I carry on
with what we do when we are forever getting a hammering for doing so.
But we do.  I think that it hurts these people more to see that they are
not affecting our contributions.

However, I will admit to being rather down in the dumps, but for other
reasons.  I suppose that this was inevitable but it's pretty horrible
when you know that, within a few months, I will have to give an
instruction that will kill the best friend I ever had, after 21 years.
Of course, I'm talking about the old mare, Larnie, now the astonishing
age of 37 and still pretty healthy apart from the fact that she is
painfully thin and 4/5ths blind.  She can no longer turn food into fat
and there is nothing I can do about it.  On Friday, the vet (who has
known her for as long as I have) advised me to let her enjoy the summer
and autumn, but not to let her face a winter she can never survive.
Stabled or not she will suffer dreadfully.  I can never allow that to
happen, but the only alternative is to have her put down.

What a hell of a choice to have to make. I find myself hoping that,
between now and then, her old heart will stop and she'll peacefully keel
over.  But, according to the vet, she doesn't have a heart: she has a
trip hammer instead!  So, I strongly suspect that I will have no choice
but to give that order.  And I will have to be there when it's done.
What an absolute sod of a prospect.

Craig