[Spellyans] au

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 07:05:19 IST 2008

One item that we must rectify is the SWF use of <o> to represent <au>,
and we have already remarked upon the unfortunate and utterly avoidable
<cons>, "causeway" and <cons>, "vagina".
This use of <o> offers confusion because these two words (by way of
example) have rather different pronunciations.  So, we must secure the
restoration of <au>, which is also desirable in place-names (there is
the precedent of Pluvogan for Mawgan-in-Meneage but this is very much
the exception, not the rule).  There can be little doubt that <au> is a
feature of traditional Cornish and I can think of no good/practical
reason for its omission from the SWF.