[Spellyans] redistribution of <i> and <y>

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Jul 23 09:48:29 IST 2008

I quite like this idea in principle, at least for stressed syllables. I
feel less comfortable with its application to unstressed syllables. So I
have no problem with <bÿs> ~ <bes>. I assume the unstressed syllables in
words such as KEGYN and BRENTYN to be reduced vowels. So we might have
pronunciations such as [kEg at n] or [kEg1n]. I also assume such reduced
vowels to be allophones. But allophones of what phoneme? One might argue
from an etymological perspective that since KEGYN is from Latin
'coquîna', the unstressed syllable should be written with an <i>.
Similarly one might suggest that BRENTYN is from Proto-Brythonic
'*brigantînos' and so should also be written with an <i>. However we are
on uncertain ground here; '*brigantînos' is itself a proto-form, merely