[Spellyans] redistribution of <i> and <y>

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Jul 23 13:43:05 IST 2008

Thanks everybody for the feedback. My desire for writing <i> rather than <y>
where both RMC and RLC have /i/ is a) to make a text easily convertible, and
b) to reduce the instances of <y> in SWF/L (Standard Written Form/Late), as
the RLC speakers consider <y> to be too “Middle Cornish” a feature, no doubt
because of its frequency in Nance’s UC.

So, Nicholas, just to get this right, you would write <y> in unstressed
syllables, i.e. SWF <bryntyn, brentyn> and SWF <kegyn, kegen>?

I never liked the KK system of writing <i> in final unstressed position (or
anywhere else word-finally for that matter).

What would you do in stressed position. It is quite clear where the vowel is
long, as in the <bys/bes>-words v. the <tir>-words. But where it’s short, I
would like to write <i> where RLC also has /i/ rather than /e/ and only
spell them <y> where RMC has /i/ and RLC has /e/. A text is easily
convertible to the <e>-spellings, which is allowed already.

Dan

  _____