[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:02:08 IST 2008

I agree with Michael here.
The idea that LC has -en where MC has -yn is a fiction. We are talking
about [I] or an i-coloured schwa.
The word for 'morning' in Middle Cornish is

myttyn x 9
vyttyn x 3
meten x 1 (Beunans Meriasek)
vetten x 1 (Beunans Meriasek)
metten x 1 (Consistory Court 1572)

Late Cornish forms are:

mettin x 4
mettyn x 1
metten x 11

These all look like variant spellings of the same word ['mItIn] or
['metIn]. It might be sensible to allow both mettyn and myttyn. But to
attempt to
distinguish the unstressed syllable would, in my view, be folly.

Nicholas