[Spellyans] mes, res, bys, bys/bes

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu Jul 24 01:50:18 IST 2008

Michael Everson quoted and wrote:

"At 09:40 +0200 2008-07-23, Daniel Prohaska wrote:
>I would like to hear everyone's opinions on the
>following idea for redistributing <y> and <i> in
>the SWF. I would write <i> where bother Late and
>Middle Cornish have /i/ and /i:/, and write <y>
>~ <e> (in dictionaries <ÿ> ~ <ë>) where Middle
>Cornish has /I/ and /I:/, but Late Cornish has
>/e/ and /e:/.

I can't see how this would work. In the first
place, in stressed syllables, we have [i:] words
(like <mis> and we have [e:] words (like <res>
and we have [I] words like <bys>. No problem
also have in stressed syllables words [i:] and
[e:] alternate; no problem here: we write <ÿ> and
<ë> regularly.

"

So Michael would write:

mis, res, bys, bÿs/bës.

The vowels are all differentiated but we need to use a diacritic that SWF folks apparently won't accept.

We need to ask them again, as we have identified this to be the best way to go.

Whereas the current SWF writes:

mis, res, bys, bys/bes.

Here there are no diacritics. However, <y> is short in bys whilst the <y> in bys/bes is long.

Whereas the SWF should logically write:

mis, res, bys, bis/bes.

This is because the <i> in bis is long and the rule is that <i> is regularly long. However, this was dismissed earlier on this forum as "too great a change" to the SWF, and you cannot then distinguish mis type words from bis/bes type words.

Whereas Dan would write:

mis, res, bis, bys/bes.

We could, of course, mark the long vowel with a diacritical mark, e.g. mís & bis.

However, if <i> is to be regularly long before <s> then a second option would be better, i.e. mis & bìs. This gives my suggestion:

mis, res, bìs, bys/bes

Would the SWF folks accept <ì> or would this be seen as just the same thing as using <ÿ>/<ë> in the other type of words?

mis, res, biz, bys/bes.

mijs, res, bis, bys/bes.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim