[Spellyans] au

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 09:00:02 IST 2008

In their booklet on place-name recommendations, the Kesva tended to
replace <au> with <ow>, so we had "Mownan", "Mowgan", "Lanvowsedh" for
what was traditionally Maunan, Maugan and Lanvausa (St Mawes).  Then
they went and replaced <ew> with <ow> in the name Trenewan which,
historically, has been Trenewien 1207; Trenywyan 1310; Trenywyen 1422;
Trenewyen 1424; Trenewen c. 1523 (presumably tre + personal name).  One
wonders why they did not recommend Trenywyen in accordance with their
own system, and which would have found an historical match from 1422.

The SWF system would now have <o> for KK <ow>, so we would be looking at
Monan, Mogan and Lanvosa/Lanvosedh (admittedly, for Mawgan-in-Meneage,
we do have the spelling Pluvogan), which is why I advocate the
restoration of <au>, and am doing so in my place-name recommendation
document.

Speaking of which, do those to whom I sent the provisional list of 3,400
toponyms, have any comments?  If so, could I have them ASAP, if not
sooner?  Grassa dhewgh.

Craig