[Spellyans] au

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jul 24 11:04:22 IST 2008

At 08:13 +0100 2008-07-24, Craig Weatherhill wrote:
>I note the SWF respells caugh as <cawgh> which appears to change the
>vowel's pronunciation to that which is spoken in "scawen".  Surely au
>and aw have two different values, in which case the SWF is inviting
>confusion.

Quite so. The SWF makes the same mistake about <ay> and <ai>.

I think I know why.

At the first meeting of the AHG, Trond used an
agenda of issues I had written for him. This did
not include any reference to <ai> or <au> because
I hadn't thought about them previously and didn't
put them on the agenda.

It was that agenda which pointed out all the
problems of Revived Cornish orthography to
members of the AHG. Since Agan Tavas and Cùssel
an Tavas had long recognized the problems, it was
not difficult for them to deal with the agenda. I
suspect that actual linguistic "problems with
orthography" came as a surprise to the KK
representatives. I was not in the room however,
and rely on what Andrew told me.

But I think that I can be blamed for this
particular problem. Had <ai> and <au> been part
of the agenda, they could have been discussed,
and might or might not have been accepted into
the SWF. As it was, Nicholas and I did raise the
issue in a subsequent discussion document, which
was evidently discussed to some degree (no idea
how well or how fleetingly) at the final meeting
of the AHG -- but as far as I can tell, there was
no will to entertain any of the suggestions we
put forward there. Perhaps Mina can tell us. I
assume that it was once again out of spite
because of personal dislike on the part of KK
representatives for the authors of the
suggestions.

The suggestions we made there were made in good
faith with the aim of improving the SWF. Nicholas
and I differed from Ken George in that we
approved of and supported orthographic reform for
Cornish. Yet we were kept out of meaningful
engagement with the process. The result? An SWF
that attracts little if any loyalty.

Ah well. This list exists so that we can address
the SWF's problems and move forward, with an
orthography better than UC/RLC/UCR and indeed
better than the SWF.