[Spellyans] au

Ken MacKinnon kenmackinnon at enterprise.net
Thu Jul 24 10:30:44 IST 2008

Most interested in your revison of place-names list, Craig.   I would be
very keen to receive this when it is ready.

I was presented with a full set of the Kesva placenames booklets when I did
my 2000 study.   I could immediately see that many of them were
unsatisfactory on all sorts of grounds - and that this represented
essentially an amateur approach.   I have always felt that the failure to
publish Gover's placenames book was a considerable failing on the part of
the EPNS.  When Oliver retired I said I hoped he would get this published as
priority.  He siad he wanted to revise it as further scholarship had
overtaken some of Gover's work.  However we still await this opus.  I can
imagine that Oliver is beavering away - but you can beaver away for ever on
that sort of thing and submerge without trace beneath the detail,   never to
emerge with the finished product.  I very much hope that your revised list
will see early publication.  Otherwise it's Gresham's Law: bad money drives
out good.

I would hope very much as a priority that a commission for Cornish
placenames might be constituted as an ealy priority of developments now the
SWF has been announced.    If it is, I very much trust that it will comprise
actual professional experts and persons with actual track record in the
field.

I feel that your application for Menhyr as a bardic name was rightly turned
down - but for the wrong reason.   A menhyr is an artefact.   Craig refers
to a natural and conspicuous stone feature.   It is Creag in Gaelic and is
feminine in gender - and so is its derivation carraig.   As is also its
Cornish cognate carrek.  There is of course clegar - which Nicholas gives as
feminine but Nance as masculine.   You may have had a lucky escape.

gorhemmynadow - Ken

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon,
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,