[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:41:08 IST 2008

I'm not sure I understand all of its implications, but thinking it
over, Dan's proposal seems like a pretty decent idea. Does KS really
need <y> as a vowel? I think no, except in final position, and as a
Middle Cornish analogue to Late <e>. We can also have it in unstressed
closed syllables -- but here, though, I think we should privilege
morphological alternation (i.e. use <y> where this alternates with <e>
per vocalic alternation, but <i> where it remains stable).

It seems to me that Dan's idea basically just means, in stressed
syllables, that we use <ì> or <i> for short <y>, thus giving <bìs>
'until', <gwidn~gwinn> 'white', <brick> 'brick', etc. No disaster from
my point of view. (It would, however, mean shelving <in> for 'in', as
this is often Late Cornish <en>.)

Here's a sample paragraph modified from the KS 16.5 Jane Austen using
my interpretation of Dan's idea:

"Yth yw gwyryoneth aswonys gans pùbonen, mars eus fortyn brâs gans
den heb demedhy, yma othem dhodho a wreg. Ny fors pana vohes yw
godhvedhys adro dha golon a dhen a'n par-na, pan wra ev dos aberth
yn tireth rag an kynsa prys, y fydh an gwiryoneth-ma màr fast yn
pennow a'n meynys oll adro, mayth ywa considrys avell pyth
teythyek a onen bo y gela a'ga myrhes y."

Original version:

"Yth yw gwyryoneth aswonys gans pùbonen, mars eus fortyn brâs gans
den heb demedhy, yma othem dhodho a wreg. Ny fors pana vohes yw
godhvedhys adro dha golon a dhen a'n par-na, pan wra ev dos aberth
yn tireth rag an kynsa preis, y feidh an gwyryoneth-ma màr fast yn
pennow a'n meynys oll adro, mayth ywa consydrys avell peith
teythyak a onen bo y gela a'ga myrhas y."

Current state of KS 17 thinking, as I understand it:

"Yth yw gwiryoneth aswonys gans pùbonen, mars eus fortyn brâs gans
den heb demedhy, yma othem dhodho a wreg. Ny fors pana vohes yw
godhvedhys adro dha golon a dhen a'n par-na, pan wra ev dos aberth
yn tireth rag an kynsa prÿs, y fÿdh an gwiryoneth-ma màr fast yn
pennow a'n meynys oll adro, mayth ywa consydrys avell pÿth
teythyek a onen bo y gela a'ga myrhas y."

(I note in passing that the diaeresis solution would double the number
of diacritics in this sample.) I think Dan's proposal looks pretty
good in practice here. With the caveat, of course, that we MUST have
diacritics for irregular vowel length and irregular vowel quality.

Oll an gwelha,
~~Owen