[Spellyans] au

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 14:27:54 IST 2008

Then I should be thankful for small mercies, Ken!  I must admit that I
did want the name Menhyr (and have published under such a pseudonym)
because it represented an archaeological monument - and I was (and still
am) heavily involved in archaeology - Craig "rock" was close enough to
Men "stone" and, as for the Hyr part, well, I am 6' 3" tall.

Oliver has been at considerable pains to point out that Gover is replete
with error and, apparently, he is currently checking evcery single
source cited by Gover in order to sort it all out.  A mammoth task that
I would not even contemplate tackling - not if I want to go on earning
my meagre living.  He is uniquely placed to take this on.

For example, Pensivillowe, cited by Gover, might well look like an early
form of Pensilva (which is a name of relatively modern coinage) when, in
fact, it refers to amlst site in Newlyn East parish.  Oliver brought me
up short for my citing forms such as Brevannek for St Agnes when it
seems that all the similar forms actually refer to a site in St Hilary.
Hence my reversion to the Bryanek forms for St Agnes.

I will have to place a cautionary note about reliance upon Gover in my
place-name document, which has to be complete by the end of July.

Craig