[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:20:38 IST 2008

2008/7/24 A. J. Trim <ajtrim at msn.com> rug scrifa:
> Yes. This looks good.
> It appears to minimise the diacritical marks. I like that.
>
> By the way, gwiryoneth has been spelt two different ways. Which is right and
> why?

<gwiryoneth> is right -- the other spelling was my mistake.

Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> rug scrifa:
> Except that then you aren't even attempting to engage with the SWF.

Neither are you when you substitute <au> for short <o> ... and <th, f>
for final <dh, v> in unstressed syllables ... and <y> for unstressed
<i>. Sheesh. Are we trying to fix a mistaken and incoherent system
here, or not? Dan's proposal makes sense, at least vis-à-vis stressed
syllables, and is a bit more streamlined than what we've been working
with. I don't think it can be dismissed without a hearing.

Actually, I think it might tread even more lightly on the SWF than
does the diaeresis solution. The words that have consistent /I/ in
both Late and Middle Cornish are admittedly numerous, but they mostly
tend to be lower-frequency items than those in the alternating /i: ~
e:/ set (gryll, myrr, pyt). And trimming the number of diacritics
without adding ambiguity to the system is a further bonus.

Agas gwas euvel,
~~Owen