[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:38:31 IST 2008

The way I understand it, the proposal was this:

In stressed syllables: (1) Using <i> for short /I/ wherever it is
stably found in both Late and Middle Cornish.
(2) Reserving <y> for the Middle Cornish alternant of the /i: ~ e:/
words, but also introducing it for short /I ~ E/ words (presumably
including for example gwyns, gwyls, tydn, yn, yw, kyns, lybm) ...
thereby lessening the need for the diaeresis (but not removing it
altogether, since, RMC readers of RLC texts might mistake an <e> word
for one of their <y> words). And also using <y> word finally.

In unstressed syllables: (1) Using <i> for short /I/ wherever it is
stably found in both Late and Middle Cornish.
(2) Using <y> for the Middle Cornish alternant of the /I ~ E/ words,
and introducing <e> for Late Cornish alternants. And also using <y>
word finally for /I/.

I don't think the proposal is practicable or desirable in unstressed
syllables, but I think it deserves being considered for stressed
syllables. Of the stressed monosyllabic words in the KS 16 appendix,
this proposal would affect:

bìs
brick
fill
fit
girr
grill
gwidn ~ gwinn
gwill
idn ~ inn
jìn
kill(?)
king(?)
kìst
lìst
mill
prick
pidn ~ pinn
pit
qwick
qwit
rich
slink
slip
sqwich
string(?)
still
sight
whip
wrinch(?)

An awful lot of these are English loan words which we are used to
seeing written with <i> in modern English anyway. What do you think
from the authenticity perspective, Nicholas?

Oll an gwelha,
~~Owen