[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:16:09 IST 2008

bis 'until' is attested once (CW)
brick attested as bricke once (CW)
fill unattested
fit unattested
gwin means 'wine', gwin in Chyrgwin
king occurs a few times; kyng is commoner
kill < gyll occurs once
pidn occurs twice; warbidn three times LC
quik occurs twelves times
sight occurs
slink is unattested.

How do you distinguish kist with [I] from Crist with a long vowel?

The use of such spellings is huge shift away from UC/UCR (and even KK,
tho' KK is incoherent).
I really don't like using <y> as an umbrella graph; writing either bys
or bes (with diacritic or not) seems preferable.
Overall it seems to me that <i> for stressed short vowels is 1. too
LC; 2. too problematic for those used to <i> as
long.

If <i> is usually short when stressed, it will be used for unstressed
syllables as well.
Do we really want to have to write gylli, kelli, askelli and gweli?

I don't like the suggestion, I have to admit.

Nicholas