[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 18:56:17 IST 2008

As I understand it, consideration of <au> did not take place within the
AHG discussions and was, indeed, an oversight.  The substitution of <o>
for <au> was done outside of any discussion group, nor (and I believe
I'm right in saying this) was it the subject of any ruling by Trond.
Therefore, I would contend that <o> for <au> is not an agreed item of
the SWF.

I certainly need to restore <au> in my recommendations regarding
place-names.  I realise that place-names lie outside the scope of the
SWF (and thank God for that) but I felt that I could produce
recommendations which both respected the historical integrity of each
name, and brought close to SWF orthography (traditional graph SWF, that
is - main form graphs would remove the place-names too far from their
history).  I have tried to keep departures from the SWF to an absolute
minimum but the inclusion of <au> will certainly be one of them.  For
historical reasons, I cannot possibly recommend Monan, and Lanvosa for
Mawnan and St Mawes.  In fact, when I look at the historical record for
each <au> toponym, I find that Pluvogan (1523, for Mawgan-in-Meneage) is
the only example of <o> for this vowel.

Craig