[Spellyans] Porth

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 23:16:01 IST 2008

Ken wheg,

No, I haven't as yet seen the Porth productions which, I understand,
have been put together by Will Coleman - in which case, they are bound
to be good.  Will performed wonders with his Sense of Place educational
project but, as usual, he was shamefully treated by the authorities and
got out of it.  Rather as I did (although I was pushed rather than
jumped).  As long as he can earn a living, he will achieve.  It's in his
nature and his heart.  The Cornish language needs something like this,
though.  It is aimed at young people and it is to the shame of us all
that the younger generations have been neglected by all language
groups.  Of course, the lack of opportunity to get Cornish into schools
(up to now, that is) has not helped but there has been a lack of
understanding across the board that, if Cornish is to have any future at
all, then we must target it at the young.  Here, we can't point the
finger at anyone - we have all been to blame, including the Gorsedd.

I can suggest to Rod that he puts his articles on CD.  His pronunciation
is very good indeed, and his fluency is equalled by very few.

Craig