[Spellyans] reDistribution of <i> and <y>

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Jul 25 00:09:05 IST 2008

I agree with Owen.

Dan's suggestion (as modified by Owen) has changed that.
Now the <mis>,<res>,<bìs>,<bys>/<bës> solution appears to be better, and
needs to be investigated properly.

The example comparative texts really illustrated the point. We should use
more of these examples in future but preferably a little longer.
That way, non linguists, like me, can really see what the effects are of
what is being proposed.

1)    The words with <i> for <y> are mostly attested in the traditional
texts.
2)    <i> would only be <ì> in a few non-conforming words, so this would not
add many diacritics overall.
3)    <ÿ> becomes unnecessary. The number of diacritical marks is thereby
significantly reduced in RMC.
4)    The mark does not need to be a dieresis anymore. RLC users could now
write <é> where it is from Middle Cornish <y>. At least for PC users, the
acute accent is easier to type than the dieresis.  We could not use the
acute accent with <y> but that restriction has gone now. If the mark is
easier to type it is less likely to be dropped altogether, and less likely
to be challenged.
5)    I therefore propose the<mis>,<res>,<bìs>,<bys>/<bés> solution.
6)    This does not really overturn the SWF. It just helps to fix it in the
best way possible.
7)    Two diacritics will have been added to the current SWF, and one letter
will have been changed. One of the two diacritics <ì> will appear on a few
words only. The list of these words may be short enough to learn if people
don't want to mark them. The other diacritic <é> will appear only in the
minority dialect for which diacritics have already been accepted in their
existing orthographies.
8)    These are minor adjustments compared with the other changes being
proposed that affect "word shape" and which are at odds with the current
SWF.
9)    Only stressed vowels are affected.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim