[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jul 25 11:33:43 IST 2008

At 10:54 +0100 2008-07-25, nicholas williams wrote:

>We will either have to endure ambiguity on the one hand or
>diacritics on the other.

I'd like everyone to read that sentence many times.

And then remember: Nothing we do will affect the SWF, which will
remain fixed for five years. We can make corrections to the
orthography and publish our grammar (giving its rationale for the
corrections) and publish books which we hope will be popular.

We are not right now engaged in a negotiation exercise with the
future CLP committee that will review the SWF for faults. We are
engaged in an exercise in putting right what is wrong with it so that
we can have an orthography -- better and more robust and more
authentic than UC or RLC or KK or UCR or the SWF -- that we can use
now.