[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 11:47:59 IST 2008

2008/7/25 nicholas williams <njawilliams at gmail.com> rug scrifa:
> The problem with Cornish orthography is that we have too few letters and too
> many possible sounds to represent.
> We will either have to endure ambiguity on the one hand or diacritics on the
> other. There is no other choice.

Agreed. Let's have diacritics. I have no problem with that. (But <res>
and <rës> are both unambiguous; both must be long.)

> As far as I understand it the proposal is to avoid having to write ÿ in
> words like bÿs, ÿs, etc. by using
> y only for the sound that may also be e, e.g. bys/bës; but writing bis
> 'until' with <i>. And also gwinn 'white',
> me/my a vinn, etc.

Nope, that's not the proposal I've been floating since yesterday. I'm
a diacriticophile, so I have added <ì> back into the mix. But Dan's
original incarnation was diacritic-free. We would have just have bìs
and bys/bes where length is indicated normally just as for every other
vowel in our system (i.e. depending on the following consonant). As
for disentangling res words from rys/res words, we would just have to
put up with the ambiguity. Not ideal, but this is the same ambiguity
that we currently have with s/j. If I'm a RMC user reading a RLC text,
I can't automatically substitute <s> in my mind for every <j> I see.
Same goes for ow/ew -- I can't automatically substitute <ew> for every
<ow>.

> Now, however, it is being suggested that <y> should be long and <i> short.
> This is not wise, to say the very least.

KK, UC and UCR always had long <y>. The SWF does too. And so does KS,
in the form of <ÿ>.

Both the SWF and KS have short <i> in words like tiryow.

Oll an gwelha,
~~Owen