[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jul 25 17:04:51 IST 2008

At 15:56 +0000 2008-07-25, Jon Mills wrote:
>Just because a word has two or more syntactic functions does not
>entail two or more lexemes. Are going to spell GALLOS (noun)
>differently from GALLOS (verb), and every other word that has more
>than one syntactic function in Cornish? Would you spell the English
>word BITE differently  in 'Bite an apple' from 'Let's go for a bite'
>because one is a verb and the other a noun?

The noun and a verb distinction you and Eddie have adduced is quite a
different thing from the split which has occurred here. On the one
hand we have a preposition which conjugates and does not cause
mutation, and on the other we have an adverbial particle which does
not conjugate and which does cause a mutation.

>I'll be away from my computer over the weekend. Talk to you all
>again on Monday.

Have a nice weekend.