[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 16:42:02 IST 2008

I agree I followed Nance in my dictionary and cited nans 'valley', but
I should be reluctant to do so now.
I do not dispute that the word nans occurs in toponyms to mean
'valley'. Of course it does.
Nans is attested in the texts in adverbial phrases only. The only word
for 'valley' is in connected traditional Cornish is valy.
It is quite common that an old word survives in toponyms but is lost
in speech.
The word auon 'flumen, fluvius' occurs in OCV and is cited by Lhuyd as
auan. It is unattested in the texts, however,
where 'river' is either ryver (BM and TH) or dowr (RD, BK).
I am reminded of the IE word for 'sea' which is muir in Old Irish but
has been replaced (except in fossilised phrases) in speech
by farraige in Irish and by cuan and keayn in Scottish Gaelic and
Manx. I think also of the Celtic word for 'island'  inis < *inista-
in Irish, which occurs in toponyms but has been replaced in speech by
oileán (not a borrowing from English by the way).
Given that nans is unattested outside toponyms and adverbial phrases,
I no longer use it in prose (verse would be a different matter).

I avoid nans 'valley' for the same reason that I avoid enep 'face',
stevel 'room', kenedhel 'nation', etc.
i.e. because we have no evidence for any of them in either Middle or
Late Cornish.

Nicholas