[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 19:53:14 IST 2008

Just back from the first day of the show (went really well and very good
weather, too).  In Welsh, nant, tends to mean "river" but, in Cornish,
OC nant, MC nans is valley, presumably "river valley".  However, we do
have phrases such as "war nans" meaning "downward".  "Owth yskynnans bre
Cambron, war nans" ("Going up Camborne Hill, coming down") is one
example (referring to Trevithick's test run of his steam car).

Of course, there are various other words for "valley" in Cornish, just
as there are several for "stream, watercourse".  Where  keep my horse
has such a name: Higher Bostraze.  The "straze" element is OC strad (W.
ystrad), MC stras, "flat-bottomed valley".  In that particular location
the term is extremely appropriate.  It is near the head of the stream
that runs from Porth Ledden (just N of Cape Cornwall) and, towards its
source is a fairly narrow, steep-sided valley.  However, above Lower
Bostraze, and getting close to the stream's source in the marshes by the
famous Bog Inn (which, incidentally, still survives as a ruin just
outside our fields), the valley opens out into a wide bowl, with a
broad, flat bottom, and surrounded on all sides bar the outlet valley by
hills.

Craig