[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 19:58:55 IST 2008

Apart, of course, from place-names.  I look upon historical and attested
place-name elements as textual evidence.  Awan, "river" does survive in
a small handful of names.  Nans survives in a great many.  Steval
appears in just one place-name but, in my opinion, these examples
qualify each word as genuine, attested and acceptable to the Cornish
vocabulary.  I don't feel that we have to discard them simply because
they do not appear in scribal texts.  For me, toponymic evidence is just
as valid.

Craig